Saturday, October 27, 2012

Happy Fall Y'all!

I love Autumn!  It finally began to feel like Autumn in Texas yesterday.  It just doesn't seem right to be setting out pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, and other Halloween decor, so I'm really enjoying this cold front :)

October has really flown by!  For me, it has been filled with a lot of projects and events.  I thought I'd highlight a couple of them.

First, I hosted a craft night for my MoMs group.  I scoured Pinterest for something that we could do pretty easily and inexpensively.  I found a pin for "family name pumpkins".  I loved the idea, but none of them were exactly what I wanted.

This project was really easy and were made for less than $15.  The pumpkin was the most expensive part because we used the carveable pumpkins.  Normally, the pumpkins cost about $30 at my local craft store, but with coupons and sales I got them for about $11 per pumpkin.  You can get a real pumpkin of similar size for less than $3 at Walmart, but we wanted to be able to use them through Thanksgiving and for Halloweens and Thanksgivings to come.

Here's a picture of one that I made for a friend that couldn't attend.

To make them, you need a pumpkin, scrapbook paper, mod podge, a foam brush and ribbon or fabric.  You can use any color or patterned scrapbooking paper, but we chose brown and white since we were planning on displaying the pumpkins through Thanksgiving.  I cut the letters out using my cricut (and two different font cartridges) and "mod podged the heck out of it" (a little joke from my MoMs).    We then tied bows using ribbon.  This pumpkin is shown with a bow made from fabric scraps from a wreath highlighted in another post.




 Another project that has been occupying my time is wreath making!  After I posted my wreath tutorial a couple of weeks ago, I've had so many requests for wreaths.  I'm glad I stocked up on straw wreaths ;)  My two year old boys have some friends that just recently moved, so I decided to make them a wreath as a housewarming gift.  The boys were so excited to pick out the supplies at the craft store.  I used the same fabric from the wreath tutorial, so all we needed to get was a wreath form and numbers.   To make the numbers look a little more "rustic", I painted them white and then inked the edges using chalk for scrapbooking.  I think it came out really cute and can't wait to share it with our friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design